Public Health

Started: March 2014 | Ended: October 2014

Major Features

  • Drupal 7
  • Boost static asset caching (pages load in 1/3rd the time)
  • Omega 4, bootstrap-sass, and compass made theming robust and easy
  • Migration of almost 2000 nodes (pages and other content)
  • Views with entity references connect related content in ways that can be exposed to visitors
  • Context aware pieces to help users dig into more information about faculty, research areas, and research projects
  • Largest site to date
  • Large set of 'customers' involved and affected, having to balance their requests with each other and the reality of user experience.
  • Word-like (WYSIWYG) editor
  • Mobile responsive
  • One of the first sites to launch with the new UA brand guidelines, helping to shape standards before they were made.

This is one of the major endeavors of my current position at the Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health. Originally, the site ran on Drupal 6 with a terrible page load time for logged-in users. Pages and functions were hacked together with terrible bloat from unnecessary tags and pasting from Word. Some built in functions were even built as custom modules.

All the content had to be ported over, including news article archives and old research projects. This was done using the feeds and feeds tamper Drupal modules in a reliable and consistent manner. At the same time, the automatic import and controlled tampering with data gave a unique opportunity to improve the fundamental objects being imported and give them obvious relationships. For instance, a faculty member is clearly related to the research projects they have.

Now, these relationships are known to Drupal and are exposed through views on the different node templates using Panels. This required some advanced views configuration that I did not understand prior to the start of the project. This would be only one of a number of things I learned during the development of this site.